Recent Family News
Is it candy or laundry detergent?Child-proofing is a common term for making an environment safe for young kids. However, a relatively new product that's meant to help simplify doing the laundry is proving dangerous for many parents.
According to the Associated Press, doctors are reporting an increase in incidents of children swallowing the single-use miniature laundry detergent packets, which are growing in popularity. Apparently, the brightly-colored, small pods are easily mistaken for candy.
"We're not quite sure why it's happening," Dr. Kurt Kleinschmidt, a Dallas toxicologist, told the news source. "But we've clearly had some kids who have become much more ill. We look at these pods as being clearly more dangerous than the standard detergent."
The AP reports that as many as 250 cases have been reported this year to poison control centers.
Procter and Gamble, one of the companies that makes the detergent pods, has announced it will roll out a new lid that will make it harder for kids to access the detergent in the coming months.
Parents who buy safe baby products and work to keep their home child-proofed should remember to keep cleaning, laundry and other household products out of reach of children.